s

340 meters per second

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement.

&mdash Alfred Adler (1870-1937)

Friday, February 24, 2006

...


S.D. House Approves Abortion Ban Bill


Friday February 24, 2006 8:31 PM

By CHET BROKAW

Associated Press Writer


PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The Legislature on Friday approved a ban on nearly all abortions in South Dakota, setting up a direct legal assault on Roe v. Wade.

Republican Gov. Mike Rounds said he was inclined to sign the bill, which would make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless it was necessary to save the woman's life. The measure would make no exception in cases of rape or incest.

I don't remember the last time a simple newspaper article drove me to dry heaves in the men's room. I don't even know what to say, I'm stunned fucking speechless. Words completely fail me. Grad School Avenger had some choice words on the subject and Twisty -- bless her take-no-prisoners heart -- let rip with a righteous firestorm of bilious fury.

As for me, I kind of just want to cry. I suppose I could vent: I could spend all day ripping through this vile edict, but it wouldn't make me feel any better. I mean, what does this say about South Dakotans? They elected a legislature that

A) debated this perverse, hateful bill;
B) passed it.

And look what they're trying to protect: a mass of cells, a fucking zygote, a booger-sized piece of gelatinous biomatter. The condescension inherent in this law -- that women are incapable of consenting to an abortion -- is fucking medieval. I just... what do you say to something like this?! I can't dig deep enough for invective, the foulest stuff I'm coming up with sounds like a goddamn understatement.

I was wrong. "Screaming" in text is helping.

Hey, here's a novel idea: let's do something. After 9/11, Canada welcomed hundreds of American refugees. Ordinary people, terrified beyond measure, trapped in airplanes which had, in an instant, become symbols of raw hate and fiery death, were allowed to rest here. Remember the scenes from Gander? 6,500 Americans received a neighbour's welcome; clothed, fed and sheltered without a moment's hesitation simply because they needed help and those smiling Newfoundlanders were capable of offering it.

In the spirit of Gander, I'm offering my couch and unlimited hot soup to any South Dakotan woman who's seeing the familiar landscape of her home transformed into a nightmarish mirrorworld where her very humanity is in dispute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home