s

340 meters per second

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement.

&mdash Alfred Adler (1870-1937)

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Hyndesight.


I've come to realize that this blog is for me, not you; no offense.

* * *

C. and I went to see Broken Social Scene play the Metropolis this weekend and it was fucking fantastic. I've seen the Stars, Do Make Say Think and Raising the Fawn play live but the whole, as they say, is greater than the sum of its parts.

Despite having experienced dozens of shows there, I'd almost forgotten what a great venue Metropolis is: good acoustics, large yet intimate, good visibility and a reasonably professional staff. No complaints.

We picked up a copy of the new record at the merch booth and as eager as I was to hear the new material, I was a little concerned about being left in the dust by songs I hadn't yet developed an attachment to. Fortunately, they played a good mix of material so we got the best of both worlds. I was actually a little surprised at how much of You Forgot It In People they played: early on, a crisp "Cause=Time" provided a nice mid-tempo break from the raw noise of the new material; "Stars and Sons" was a crowd favourite, inspiring a perfectly-timed clap-along; "Anthems For A Seventeen Year Old Girl," one of our all-time favourite BSS tunes, was a big surprise and one of the night's high points.

I could go on and on, but I know how tedious a concert play-by-play can be for people who missed it. I leave you with an observation from C.: when she rocks out, Leslie Feist sounds an awful lot like Chrissie Hynde.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home