s

340 meters per second

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement.

&mdash Alfred Adler (1870-1937)

Friday, August 05, 2005

Madness!


Two days ago Dr. Stephen Robinson, one of the astronauts on the latest Discovery mission, accomplished a unique feat the other day: he completed a space walk under the shuttle. It sounds distressingly banal I know, but consider the variables. Although the shuttle always looks like it's stationary, peacefully hovering in place, that's the opposite of the truth. The thing is whipping around the planet at about 28,000 kph and only looks stationary.

Space walks have become relatively commonplace now, but only along the top and sides of the shuttle--never underneath. The physics of it are completely different and according to Wayne Hale, the deputy shuttle program manager, "nobody has a very good handle on the aerodynamics at those altitudes and those speeds." A NY Times article summarizing the events in a dry but informative way may be reached here (will launch new browser window).

I just think it's pretty cool and Dr. Robinson deserves serious kudos for attempting this insanity.

* * *

So my dad's taking me out to see C.R.A.Z.Y. tonight, hailed as the latest saviour of Québec's film industry. I'll letcha know how it is, but I'm backed up on my film reviews as it is so give me a coupla weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home